Famous Ancient Greek People Facts
Where do you start when discussing famous ancient Greek people? The list of famous and important people from this ancient civilization is very long. Names like Socrates,
Aristotle, Plato, and of course Alexander the Great jump to mind. They were just a few of the numerous, famous, and important people who made amazing contributions in such fields
as philosophy, politics, science, architecture, literature, and art. Greek society, with its emphasis on education and the rights of citizens, fostered the development of these
great people and enabled them to reach their full potential. Ancient Greek civilization lasted for centuries with its culture reaching its peak in the fourth and fifth centuries
In this section of Ancient Greece Facts (Famous Ancient Greek People Facts) we list many of the important people in ancient Greek history. Here we list 10 of them along with a
short description of what made them famous; for some you will find links to a detailed biography. As with all our pages this information is written in such a way that both kids
and adults can understand and find interesting.
Famous Ancient Greek People List
- Homer - This famous author wrote the Iliad and the Odyssey which shaped Greek culture for centuries by inspiring important values like courage and honor. His epics also influence
the history of world literature.
- Socrates - He was a founder of Western philosophy. Particularly recognized for his contributions in the field of ethics.
- Plato - A founder of Western philosophy and science. He wrote about a wide range of subjects including philosophy and mathematics.
- Aristotle - This amazing individual studied, taught, and wrote about many subjects including philosophy, physics, biology, theater, music, and politics. He is considered one of
the founders of Western philosophy.
- Alexander the Great - This amazing Greek king was undefeated in battle and is one of the most successful military leaders in history. He conquered most of the known world of his
time; with his empire stretching from the Adriatic Sea to the Indus River in modern day Pakistan.
- Hippocrates - This Greek physician is considered one of the most important people in the history of medicine; and is called the father of Western medicine.
- Archimedes - He was a mathematician, physicist, inventor, astronomer, and engineer. He made great strides forward in the field of physics and is considered one of the greatest
mathematicians of ancient Greece.
- Euclid - This important mathematician created the fundamentals of geometry.
- Herodotus - He is called the "Father of History". He utilized a systematic approach to gathering information, had a concern for accuracy, and wrote detailed well organized accounts
of historic events.
- Aristarchus - This famous astronomer was the first to realize the sun, not the earth, was at the center of the then known universe and that the earth revolved around the sun.
Conclusion - Famous Ancient Greek People Facts
The 10 famous ancient Greek people listed above are just a few of the interesting, important, and well known people who lived in ancient Greece. This list could have easily
extended to 20, 30, or more people .Please explore the other pages of this site for information about many aspects of this amazing society. We will be adding more pages